[e2e] How to quantify global synchronization?

Kostas Pentikousis kostas at cs.sunysb.edu
Fri Jan 24 20:32:18 PST 2003

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Tom Scott wrote:

  | Hi, everyone,
  |
  |    I'd like to know how to quantify the global
  | synchronization in the Drop Tail routers. I searched
  | on the web but did not find any quantitative method
  | for it. Does anyone know about any such quantitative
  | method?

A number of studies have indicated that global syncronization is not that
common (anymore). You may find the section titled "The Case of Global
Synchronization" in

K. Pentikousis and H. Badr, "An Evaluation of TCP with Explicit Congestion
Notification", in Annals of Telecommunications, Mid-2003.
http://www.cs.sunysb.edu/~kostas/art/ecneval.pdf

usefull.

  |     I think it must be a function of the total
  | throughput with the maximum bandwidth as a parameter.
  |
  |     Thanks!
  |
  | - Tom

Best regards,

Kostas