[e2e] Research testbeds: Report to NSF

Karen R. Sollins sollins at lcs.mit.edu
Tue Jan 14 08:35:31 PST 2003

The NSF does not send grant money to PIs in other countries, but they
do encourage international collaboration in several ways.  First,
they simply encourage it in their US PIs.  Second, the NSF has a
separate International program, which provides some funds to American
PIs who happen to have collaborators in other countries, specifically
to help with the collaboration, for example with travel money for
visits (in both directions); this is often done by a supplement to a
grant from a regular program, made by the International Program.
Third, a number of countries have the equivalent of the NSF and the
NSF has agreements with some of these organizations, such that
collaborators in the US and the other countries can dually submit the
same proposal to both organizations, in order to apply for "joint"
support of such a project.  These proposals go through the review
process appropriate to each of the countries.  Proposals in both of
the latter two categories are handled somewhat separately from normal
NSF proposals, both for reviewing and funding.  The NSF's
International program has a separate pool of money to help support
them and participates in the reviewing process, so from the point of
view of a program officer in a particular field (say networking), all
this money is a supplement to normal programs.  To make things like
this work, it is often important first to talk with the appropriate
program directors at the NSF, especially if they are unaware of these
sorts of programs, so that they can both learn and extend the
effectiveness of their funds.

The other thing the NSF has done in the past (I don't know how long
this will continue) is to run the Startap (& friends) and often
provide small amounts of money to other countries to help support
international connections into the US.  My understanding (I wasn't
really involved at all in this) was that this was generally in
support of big science projects (e.g. various flavors of physics).  I
never saw any networking research here, but this was money that
actually did go outside the borders of the US.

			Karen