[e2e] Random losses on very high speed networks

Constantine Dovrolis dovrolis at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Jul 22 18:55:35 PDT 2003

> > I agree with you that "bandwidth" is largely misused in the
> > networking and CS community -- anyone who takes a networking class
> > and still misuses bandwidth for capacity (at any layer) shoulda
> > flunked.  :]

Folks, frankly, it is way too late to whine about
the use of the term "bandwidth" in the networking context. People
have been using this term to refer to "capacity or throughput" (bps),
as well as to "physical bandwidth" (Hz), for decades. I can
recall the former use of the term in Jacobson's 88 paper, but I am
sure that there are earlier references too.

Besides, the context in which the term is used is so different
for Hz vs bps that probably it never causes confusion. And at the
end of the day, the two "bandwidth" concepts are not totally
irrelevant after all - see Shannon's law.

Constantinos

Constantinos Dovrolis | 218 GCATT | 404-385-4205
Assistant Professor | Networking and Telecommunications Group
College of Computing | Georgia Institute of Technology
dovrolis at cc.gatech.edu
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/fac/Constantinos.Dovrolis/