[e2e] Random losses on very high speed networks

Constantine Dovrolis dovrolis at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Jul 22 20:37:28 PDT 2003

Alex, "bandwidth" is certainly not the first technical term
that is being overloaded, even in the scientific/research
literature, with multiple meanings.

Even within the context of its "physical" interpretation (Hz),
the term "bandwidth" is used to describe two different things:

1. We talk about the "bandwidth of a signal", defined based
on the range of a signal's spectrum that carries most of the
signal's energy.

2. We also talk about the "bandwidth of a channel", or system
in general, defined by the difference of the cutoff frequencies
in the system's transfer function.

There is nothing wrong with overloading a term, as long as
it is clear from the context which concept you refer to.

Of course I will not reply to the bashing part of your message..

Constantinos

Constantinos Dovrolis | 218 GCATT | 404-385-4205
Assistant Professor | Networking and Telecommunications Group
College of Computing | Georgia Institute of Technology
dovrolis at cc.gatech.edu
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/fac/Constantinos.Dovrolis/