[e2e] Types Of Service

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Mon Jul 28 12:25:41 PDT 2003

I disagree - the protocols are defined to optimize a particular type of
service.

TCP provides high reliability end-to-end.   Modifying the size of its
checksum and encrypting its payload including a virtual header is all that
you would need to increase its reliability to an arbitrary level.

RTP provides lowest jitter for a data stream where loss is not a problem
(error correction adds jitter by definition).

UDP has no QoS goals - it exists to enable protocols like RTP to be
dispatched at the endpoints to the right process that implements the protocol.

Luby's Digital Fountain (over UDP) provides most efficient goodput on a
noisy channel for messages that occupy many packets (efficiency =
goodput/total_transmitted; for Digital Fountain efficiency ~ 1 - packet
error rate, which is optimal).