[e2e] Is a control theoretic approach sound?

Shivkumar Kalyanaraman shivkuma at ecse.rpi.edu
Wed Jul 30 17:49:55 PDT 2003

The issue of considering delay robustness and several other
properties directly in a non-linear dynamic control theoretic framework
has been proposed by my control-theory colleagues John Wen and Murat Arcak
in their INFOCOM 2003 paper -- this framework is a superset of Kelly and
Low static optimization frameworks and linearized stability analyses.
Since my colleagues do not read this mailing list, please cc your

It is becoming clear that basic dynamics and steady state behavior of
congestion control schemes are best understood at the "flow"
level in optimization frameworks; and "fine-tuning" of schemes can be done
at the "packet" level (eg: estimation robustness issues,
increase/decrease: AIMD etc, slow start, interaction with timeout/rtt
estimation etc). This "packet-level" dynamic behavior can be validated by
ns-2 simulations or implementation trials.

This is the essence of the approach of Kelly and Low frameworks and the
other generalized frameworks...

-Shiv
===
Shivkumar Kalyanaraman
Associate Professor, Dept of ECSE, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI)
110, 8th Street, Room JEC 6003, Troy NY 12180-3590
Ph: 518 276 8979   Fax: 518 276 4403
WWW: http://www.ecse.rpi.edu/Homepages/shivkuma

A goal is a dream with a deadline -C. Knight