[e2e] TCP un-friendly congestion control

Michael Welzl michael.welzl at uibk.ac.at
Fri Jun 6 00:04:18 PDT 2003

Hi,

> For the past couple of months, whenever someone has bounced up and
> down extolling the virtues of Katabi's et al.'s XCP and saying
> something should be done about it, I'd say something like 'gee, that's
> not the only new(ish) kid on the block. What about, oh, Caltech's FAST
> work? Which doesn't require the same degree of midpoint modification?
> And has actual not-just-in-ns implementations? No. N-S.'

Now I won't claim to understand all the maths behind Steven Low's
work either - but, as far as I understood it, it does at least
require one midpoint modification: active queue management.
I think that's how stability is ensured.

I wonder if it's possible to create a TCP-like mechanism that
would be stable (assuming a fluid model) with no tailored
active queue management  ... in particular, I wonder if this
could be shown in the heterogeneous RTT case.

Best regards,
Michael