[e2e] misconfiguration issues...

Max Cline tcpminds at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 6 07:49:34 PDT 2003

I am interested in surveying network misconfiguration problems that are
observed in data networks and am trying to understand in what way they
degrade end-to-end performance.
In particular I am considering layer-2 cases. For instance, it looks like
MTU and frame fragmentation can be a problem in several cases. V-LAN
configuration seems to have its own family of misconfiguration issues... I
would like to characterize in a more systematic way the problem space. Some
organizations, like NANOG, are a forum for people with significant
experience, however the majority of their concerns and discussions relate,
naturally, to routing. Inside NANOG, it seems like there was an effort
(around ~1999) to address data center concerns, but I think it really never
took off.
Can anyone provide any pointer?
Thanks, Max.