[e2e] TCP un-friendly congestion control

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Fri Jun 6 10:08:31 PDT 2003

In message <000001c32c43$6231fce0$9d350e98 at HD>, "Injong Rhee" writes:

>It is my understanding that in the environments where these protocols
>(HSTCP, Scalable TCP, and FAST) are intended to operate -- fast (>1Gbps)
>and long distance networks (>50ms) -- TCP friendliness is not a concern
>since TCP cannot fully utilize the available network bandwidth.

TCP can achieve performance in excess 1 Gbps on terrestrial links.  You
generally need to get to satellite links to have trouble and there the
maximum rate is around 1.5 Gbps over geosynchronous.

Just to be careful, as to specify TCP performance you need to say several
things: my statement is for a TCP with PAWS, SACK, and window scaling,
over terrestrial networks (delays < ~100ms) with appropriately low loss
rates.

Craig