[e2e] TCP un-friendly congestion control

Injong Rhee rhee at eos.ncsu.edu
Fri Jun 6 11:52:03 PDT 2003

Hi Craig,

Maybe there is some misunderstanding. Since TCP increases the congestion
window by one segment in each RTT, if the maximum window size is 4167,
then for TCP to reach that window size after a loss event, it would take
half of 4167 RTTs.

I am also not talking about slow start; in steady state, cwnd reduces to
half of its current window at a loss event and increases by one after
that. I am just commenting on an extreme case where a single flow is
running on that network. I hope this clears our misunderstanding.

Not sure where 18 RTT comes from??

Cheers,

Injong Rhee
Computer Science Dept