[e2e] TCP un-friendly congestion control

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Fri Jun 6 14:26:16 PDT 2003

In message <20030606140028.A59651 at xorpc.icir.org>, Luigi Rizzo writes:

>exactly -- that's the whole point, the packet rate is so high that
>there are many chances to have occasional losses anywhere in the
>system, not just due to the channel but even because of operating
>system issues on some of the intermediate boxes or end nodes.

OK, let me get on my high horse here for a moment.

The original poster asserted that in an environment where the network
went at 1 Gbps and had 50ms of delay, TCP was hopeless.

The point I was trying to drive home is that it is not hopeless.  That
you have to define the environment far more carefully before you assert
that TCP can or cannot do the job.  One of my frustrations these days is
people who fail to be careful.  I was trying to encourage care in the
problem statement.

Thanks!

Craig