[e2e] TCP un-friendly congestion control

Les Cottrell cottrell at SLAC.Stanford.EDU
Sat Jun 7 13:14:03 PDT 2003

I agree with what you say, just one minor nit, on your statement about TCP
not being able to sustain 750Mbps, I suspect you should qualify that with
standard 1500Byte MTUs. With a large MTU TCP's AIMD recovery is improved
and it can perform much better, in fact the recent Internet2 land speed
records were achieved (923Mbits/s sustained over 1Gbits/s bottleneck, and
2.36Gbits/s over OC48/2.5Gbits/s bottleneck) with stock TCP and 9000 Byte
frames.

See for example:

http://sravot.home.cern.ch/sravot/Networking/10GbE/10GbE_test.html or
http://www-iepm.slac.stanford.edu/monitoring/bulk/10ge/

Les Cottrell
Mail Stop 97, Stanford Linear Accelerator Center, POB 4349, Stanford, CA 94309
Phone (650)926-2523, FAX (650)926-3329
URL http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~cottrell/cottrell.html