[e2e] TCP un-friendly congestion control

Mark Handley mjh at icir.org
Sun Jun 8 09:20:42 PDT 2003

>Perhaps not.  "The customers are happier" implies a whole analysis that
>focuses on what customers actually value.   The assertion that 10 customers
>getting 1/10 of the bottleneck bandwidth is the economic optimum is
>indefensible, because there is no sound economic argument that supports
>either "fairness" or the maintanence of bottlenecks despite the customers
>having money they would gladly invest in eliminating the bottleneck.

The problem here is that (at least for bulk transfer) the application
desire is to send a finite amount of data in zero time.  Thus, modulo
the limitations of memory bandwidth and of congestion control and flow
control mechanisms, there will always be a bottleneck.

But if what you're asserting is the economic argument that we can
invest in QoS mechanisms, or we can invest in bandwidth, then I tend
to agree with you that most users would prefer more bandwidth, even if
it's not used optimally.

Cheers,
	Mark