[e2e] TCP un-friendly congestion control

Injong Rhee rhee at eos.ncsu.edu
Mon Jun 9 09:27:27 PDT 2003

I came to know this work recently too.  I suspect that the high performance
migth be due to a large buffer space some place on DropTail router network.
In the droptail router with buffer space K, the congestion window drops down
to (B*D + T)/2. If T is as much as B*D, then TCP drops its window down to
B*D which is the capacity of the link. If RED is used, the result will be
quite different, i believe because packet drop will happen well before the
buffer fills up. Also DropTail with a large buffer adds a lot of congestion
delays.

 Could somebody confirm the amount of router buffer space at the bottleneck
of this path and whether RED is being used? whether the buffer space is
pooled or dedicated to a port? At some point, Tom Kelly reported a very
little buffer space. But that could have been changed.