[e2e] TCP un-friendly congestion control

Richard Carlson RACarlson at anl.gov
Mon Jun 9 14:36:05 PDT 2003

Saverio;

In the I2-LSR awards listed below, no there isn't much *any* TCP could do
to improve performance.  Both IPv4 and IPv6 results were limited by the e2e
path capacity - 2.4 Gbps (OC-48) for the IPv4 record and 1 Gbps (GigE) for
the IPv6 record.  Both records use over 95% of the path capacity.  These
records show what TCP is capable of achieving.

In the general case, where a specific flow is competing with other flows,
then any algorithm that can improve TCP's response time to loss events -
congestion or BER - would improve throughput.  Exactly what these
algorithms are is an active research area at the present time.  I, for one,
would be very interested in TCPW experiments over long/fat networks.

Rich