[Fwd: [e2e] Network optimization for bandwidth provisioning]

Sireen Habib Malik s.malik at tu-harburg.de
Thu Mar 20 03:15:11 PST 2003

Hi Jing,

Ref. your first question.....

>> Could we accept that assumption? To my understanding , if link capacity is overprovisioned by
>> 15%, routing paths>> computed by SPF may deviate from that of original network.

If SPF is taking "number of hops" as the shortest path then there will not be any route changes as long as the topology is intact. This maybe realized by setting the same OSPF weight on all interfaces. However, if the network is using dynamic OSPF weight setting which happens to be some function of capacity then flows may re-route.

I have not read the paper but the mentioned assumption appears to me as a pre-requisitve for such a study. I mean,  for such a performance comparison, all the variables except capacity need to be kept the same. If for one reason or another flows re-route because of the change in capacity then there would be no ground for such a performance comparison.

Example : one flow is going from source node A to destination node D. It follows a path A-B-C-X-D (B, C and X are the intermediate nodes). Say this flow faces a 10msec e2e delay. Now increase the link capacities. If the network has dynamic OSPF weight setting, it will react and re-route the flows. Say, our example flow now follows the path A-X-D. Assume, resultant dealy is 5msec - an improvement. Question is, what brought about this improvement? Increased capacity or the online-optimized route?  So,  to measure the impact of over-provisioned capacity  the flow should keep A-B-C-X-D path i.e. routing should not change.

Sireen Malik,

Technical University of Hamburg-Harburg
Digital Communication Networks
FSP 4-06
Denickestr. 17
21073 Hamburg, Deutschland

Tel: (040) 42-878-3351 Fax: (040) 42-878-2941 E-Mail: s.malik at tu-harburg.de

The information contained in this e-mail is intended for the recipient
or entity to whom it is addressed. It may contain confidential
information if you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy,
distribute or take any act in reliance on it. If you have received this
e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete from
your system.