[e2e] Re: bgp reflecting actual traffic flow (or not)

Rajesh Talpade rrt at research.telcordia.com
Mon Mar 24 14:17:42 PST 2003

After an 8-month delay, 1-week will seem like an instant. :-)

The report is interesting. We have been exploring a related question,
which really caused me to ask the original question 8 months back.
Perhaps your data could be used to answer this question in more
detail?

Hypothesis:
The last-hop of an Internet AS-level path remains fairly static.

Explanation:
Traffic from a random IP address, destined to a target network, will
use a specific link connecting the target network's neighbor/upstream
provider (peer AS) to the target network's Border Routers (BR). This
mapping between a source IP address and the peer AS-BR link is fairly
static. Thus for each peer AS-BR link, it is possible to create a set
of "expected IP addresses," which reflect the set of networks that use
this link to reach the target network.

There is preliminary support for the hypothesis, based on our analysis
of 41000 traceroutes to 20 targets from 24 Looking-Glass sites, and
30-days of AS-path data from routeviews.org for the same 20 targets.

This result could be used for identifying/filtering spoofed DDoS
packets arriving into the target network from its neighbors/upstream
providers.

We would appreciate any feedback or suggestions for next steps. I can
email a more detailed note on the preliminary results, please contact
me offline.

Thanks.
Rajesh.

"--- begin message from k claffy ---"