[e2e] Is a non-TCP solution dead?

Injong Rhee rhee at eos.ncsu.edu
Mon Mar 31 12:51:51 PST 2003

Mark,

You raised an excellent point. Congestion in CDMA networks can happen
because of one of the three reasons (there could be more):

1. Wired line congestion
2. Air interface/link-level retransmission
3. Loss of channels because of contention among users in the same cell.

The first one can be in the range of RTT since TCP will reduce its
rates. The second and third ones can be as long as 100ms to a few 10s
seconds. Because of this, carriers tend to use large buffer (more than
10 to 20 seconds worth) -- typical bw and delay product does not work
here because delay can be much larger than just the best case
propagation delays (which is in the order of less than 1 second) -- I
hear other folks are commenting that this is overprovision of buffer.
Hell no! and it is an engineering choice by carriers for the network
environments where propagation delays are highly unpredictable and very
large.

Given that congestion lasts longer than RTT and delays get much larger
during the congestion of 2 and 3 (even for 1 because of large buffer), a
combination of loss and delays could be a good congestion indicator.

Injong