[e2e] Is a non-TCP solution dead?

Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Mon Mar 31 19:03:01 PST 2003

I think these statements illustrate the ingrained nature of the problem:
"
> Optimizing transport protocols for particular link technologies may
> seem a good thing in the short term, but it harms the future.  It's
> hard enough to get TCP right without link-layer dependencies in there.
> And it's harder still if you have to optimize for arbitrary
> concatenated sequences of link-layers.
>
> On the other hand, if we can identify useful commonality between
> link-layers, and if we can pass up hints to the transport to make
> things work better without sacrificing generality or security, then
> this seems a reasonable thing to me.  This has however proved rather
> difficult every time it's been raised before.
"
The Transport should not be used to make up for behavioral variations in
segments or links in a path.  It should be able to depend on the Network to
provide datagram service and to handle congestion, errors, etc. on the
Network's own.  This is why we have great efforts going on in link
optimizations, forward error correction, etc.  None of this is a Transport
responsibility.  It was a mistake to attempt such corrections in the TCP
transport, even if it was alleged to avoid the embarrassments of Internet
collapse in the '80s.

Alex