[e2e] High Packet Loss and TCP

Ross Callon rcallon at juniper.net
Thu May 1 12:40:42 PDT 2003

My understanding is that there is some level of packet loss
which causes TCP to back off to the point of stopping. My
impression is that this is a sufficiently high loss rate that it
shouldn't happen in a network which is behaving properly,
and if it happens this should be considered a network failure
rather than a TCP problem. (I am pretty sure that I saw this
sort of behavior a few years ago when trying to access large
files over a very bad link).

Is there a paper which would describe what the appropriate
loss rate is that would cause this problem? Is there any
general understanding of what level of packet loss will cause
serious problems?

thanks, Ross

(PS: Please CC me, since I am not on the Email list. thanks)