[e2e] High Packet Loss and TCP

Spencer Dawkins spencer_dawkins at yahoo.com
Thu May 1 15:07:48 PDT 2003

Dear Ross,

The two problematic environments I've worked in are:

- TCP over high-bandwidth satellite links, where unrecovered
single-packet losses cut the congestion window in half
(multiplicative decrease) and may take a large number of 400-ms
RTTs to return to normal operation (additive increase), and

- TCP over cellular links, where the bandwidth rates are lower,
but the RTTs are higher (up to 1.2 seconds, that I've seen), and
losses due to transmission errors may be more frequent.

SACK helps recover without an RTO, but still cuts the congestion
window in half, so SACK is a good thing, but not a great thing,
from an RFC 3155 perspective.

Hope this helps!

Spencer