[e2e] High Packet Loss and TCP

Vishal Misra misra at cs.columbia.edu
Thu May 1 15:31:28 PDT 2003

Take an idealization of TCP, additive increase-multiplicative decrease.
Numerous papers have shown that the relationship between loss probability
"p" and average window size "W" is
	(W^2)*p = k

where k is some constant between 1.5 and 2 (the "square root p formula").
At loss rates above 10% (p > 0.1), the average window size drops down to 3
or below. Any loss of packet then, in a real implementation of TCP results
in (multiple) timeouts with high probability (you do not have a large enough
window to get triple duplicate acks).

This is a handwaving explanation. The Padhye et al. paper does a detailed
performance analysis (where they show that the drop in performance is in
fact worse).

-Vishal

--
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~misra