[e2e] packet-pair probe implementation

Bengt Ahlgren bengta at sics.se
Fri May 2 05:30:38 PDT 2003

Rik Wade <rik at rikwade.com> writes:

> One concept which I believe has been enhanced in recent work is the concept
> us using "packet trains" as opposed to isolated pairs. I recall reading
> a paper (http://www.sics.se/~bengta/train.ps.gz) in 1999 on the subject.
> This technique involves sending a stream of back-to-back packets, the
> interarrival properties of which can be measured and manipulated to suit
> your requirements. Searching Google for "packet train bandwidth probe"
> brought up quite a few hits.

This paper describes the very early work that led to TOPP.  The work
exhibits some deficiencies that we did not know the cause of at the
time of writing; one cause being the Ethernet capture effect.  Please
see Bob Melander and Mats Björkman's later work on TOPP for better and
more complete results.

Bengt