[e2e] packet-pair probe implementation

Arnaud Legout legout at castify.net
Fri May 2 05:46:12 PDT 2003

Constantine,
may be you could also have a look at a paper I wrote with Ernst Biersack
that is about
an application of PP in the context of multicast congestion control:

A. Legout, and E. W. Biersack. *PLM: Fast Convergence for Cumulative
Layered Multicast Transmission Schemes*. In /Proceedings of ACM
SIGMETRICS'2000/, Santa Clara, CA, USA, June 2000
http://www.eurecom.fr/~legout/Research/research.html

Even if it is not on the PP technique itself, it could be quite
interesting to see how effective PP can be to support
a congestion control algorithm.

Of course, in a FQ network, PP gives the available bandwidth which is,
in the context of congestion control,
more interesting than the bottleneck bandwidth available in FIFO networks.

However, as Vern Paxson pointed out, the PP technique is subject to a
lot of noise in a real world. The PP technique in a real
FQ network will be subject to even more noise, as it depends highly on
the exact implementation of the FQ scheduling policy.

Arnaud.

Constantine Dovrolis wrote:

>Atsuo,
>
>there is a lot of recent research on bandwidth estimation, and on
>the packet pair technique in particular. We recently wrote
>a survey paper (currently under submission) on bandwidth
>estimation that gives all (?) the recent references:

Arnaud Legout, Ph.D.

Castify Networks                Phone : 00.33.4.93.00.27.07
2229, route des Cretes          Fax   : 00.33.4.92.94.20.88
06560 Sophia Antipolis          E-mail: legout at castify.net
FRANCE                          Web   : http://www.castify.net