[e2e] High Packet Loss and TCP

dpsmiles at turing.acm.org dpsmiles at turing.acm.org
Fri May 2 06:45:05 PDT 2003

>This means that you can often acquire congestion info from such
>devices within portions of any network path.

How exactly is the congestion info acquired? In the context of a delay
tolerant network(DTN), we cannot use 'chatty' protocols, as they consume
valuable bandwidth. Looking at the techniques that are used in the normal
Internet:

1) Packet dropping: It is likely to go undetected for a long time, since
the DTN model is very optimistic when it sends packets. To put it in
another way, there is a high expectation that the packet will reach the
destination. Thus the lifetimes of packets are long, compared to TCP
packets.

2) Notification by setting a bit in a returning packet(piggybacking): Since
the connection is intermittent(and scheduled), I am not sure how much
really we can rely on this technique. It still has some scope, depending on
the availability of a packet on the return path.

3) Explicit notification by a choke packet: This will have to the last
resort, though a costly one.

>Service providers at the edge
>have direct requirements to limit flows, because their connections to the
>network core are more limited than the aggregate flows they might have to
>send/receive for subscribers.

I am not sure I understand this statement. Could you rephrase it?

Thoughts?

Thanks, Alex.

PS: The DTN website is www.dtnrg.org