[e2e] packet-pair probe implementation

Raghurama 'REDDY' rreddy at psc.edu
Fri May 9 06:17:54 PDT 2003

>> From:	SMTP%"nuk at comp.leeds.ac.uk"  "S Puangpronpitag"  9-MAY-2003 08:08:44.93
>> To:	dpsmiles at turing.acm.org
>> CC:	end2end-interest at postel.org
>> Subj:	Re: [e2e] packet-pair probe implementation

>> > I think it's a common mistake to confuse between available bandwidth and
>> > bottleneck bandwidth. In any case, available bandwidth can also be better
>> > estimated from after astimating the bottleneck bandwidth.
>> > 2 cents!
>>
>> Are they different? How?
>> I would explain the available bandwidth as
>>    o "the lowest link speed on the network path connecting a sender to a
>>       receiver", which would be bottleneck bandwidth".

    bottleneck bandwidth - What you can tranfer if there is no competing
    traffic on the path.

    available bandwidth - What you can transfer when there is cross
    traffic on the path.  Obviously this varies depending on what other
    traffic is going through the bottleneck and varies with time.

    In the absense of cross traffic then they are equal.

>> >From Vern Paxson Ph.d. thesis,
>>    the bottleneck bandwidth means "the fastest transfer rate the path
>>    can sustain".
>>
>> Or, look at Keshav's and other few papers' explanation.
>>
>> I think they would be the same thing, isn't it?

--Raghu Reddy