[e2e] Link Aggregation

Valentin Ossman valentin at tehutinetworks.com
Wed May 14 10:57:12 PDT 2003

Dear Spencer,

Thanks for the analysis.
You are completely right.
A simple solution can be sending ACK only for packets received on one
port (acknowledging also packets sent on the second port). Having ACKs
only on one path will make life much simpler because there will not be
out-of-order ACKs to trigger retransmit (am I right here?).

For example:

Packet sequence
Sender                     Receiver
Port 1: ---*3*-----*1*---> :Port 1
Port 2: -----*4*--*2*----> :Port 2
ACK sequence (only port 2 sends ACK)
Port 1: <------IDLE------- :Port 1
Port 2: <----*2*----*4*--- :Port 2

ACK *2* was triggered by packet *2* on port 2 and ACK *4* was triggered
by packet *3* on port 1 (packet 4 already arrived).

Also, to ease reassembly, maybe RDMA may be used over TCP.

Valentin

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-tcp-eifel-response-