[e2e] Link Aggregation

Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Wed May 14 11:24:48 PDT 2003

Valentin, what you (and I) want is essentially doable now in Sonet-like
systems, with "Virtual Concatenation" -- meaning links can be dynamically
sized (in some multiples of, say, T1) to take advantage of unused bits in
synchronous framing (see AMCC, Vitesse...).  Unfortunately, the IEEE standards
for bridging seem to preclude DLC link aggregation per flow.  Routers can, of
course, be configured to do this (e.g., Cisco's "Fair" vs "Round-Robin"
parallel route-path use) with, say, multiple T1s, but that capability
disappears at the outer LAN interfaces.

Alex