[e2e] Fw: IAB Draft on the End to End Principle

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Wed May 21 07:38:51 PDT 2003

That the design "choice" of CC mechanisms is made at the ends need not mean
that the implementation burden lie on the application designer.   What the
end-to-end idea does is place choices in the end-app-designer and
end-user's hands, rather than building a particular choice into the network.

Thus, Michael's argument is entirely consistent with the end-to-end principle.

The deeper issue is that of individual versus collective
responsibility.   Congestion only arises out of collective behavior,
interactions among disparate applications.

The end-to-end principle does NOT argue that each end *in isolation* is the
best place to make all decisions - that would be ridiculous just as the
pure "libertarian" position is ridiculous in economics - there needs to be
signalling and cooperation among the sharers of network capacity.

What the end-to-end principle says about collective action is that the
function implementation should not be centered in the network, because the
network has no clue whatsoever as to what knobs and levers the applications
have to control congestion.   (I would normally throw in an example here,
because the router guys always seem to claim they know everything that
applications do, but by now it's clear to nearly everyone that the router
guys only focus on FTP and isochronous streams, neither of which actually
matter, but make great benchmarks to show off to their customers who also
don't know what CC makes sense to the real apps out there and yet to be
invented).