[e2e] TCP-SYN and delayed TCB allocation

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Tue May 27 14:40:12 PDT 2003

Alok Dube wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Maybe this has been asked several times, but i am taking the "path of least
> effort" and asking :-)
>
> Is the TCB allocated on TCP done
> A)  immediately after receiving the SYN?
>
> or
>
> B) has it been modified that it is now done after the 1st ACK?
>
> if not, any reason why not B? we would so the same if we had a
> "NAT/Firewall" with delayed binding etc

If B), where do you put the data that could have been sent in the SYN?
I'm not sure you can ACK the SYN without ACKing the data therein (though
you don't deliver it until receiving the ACK and transitioning to
ESTABLISHED)...

Joe