[e2e] internet architecture in Europe

Jon Crowcroft Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed May 28 04:56:05 PDT 2003

around 10 years back we did internet synchronised juggling
between london and Amsterdam over the mbone - this was accompanied b
various pieces of cod jazz folk and classical guitar by an obscure UCL
researcher called crowcroft...
i believe the jugglers included stuart clayman and atanu ghosh...

more recently, there was a n internet handshake between people in
immersive VR caves in london and the US....

the seminal music session in the internet early multicast days was a 3
way between east and west coast in USA (eve schooler and martha
steenstroup and a metronome)....

if you want to do rallentando (or any serious interaction of tempo
between real players - especially jazz and classical) then yo uare
probably hit by speed of light limit on RTT at around
50-100km..(sorry, but i've tried it way back when even with crips QoS
enabled audio on a 155Mbps dedicated ATM CBR VC with the old
fore/nemesys AVA/AVD hardware, and if it didnt work then, it aint
gonna work on IP:-)

of course, the sort of sound (I wont glorify it with the word "music")
you eget in the eurovision song contest could probably be played by
robots from Tau Ceti and Aldeberan without anyone in the judges
noticing (and i am happy to include the Nul Points english entry in
this category:-)

n missive <BAFA5DA7.98A9%Alexander_Carot at gmx.net>, Alexander Car=?ISO-8859-1?B
?9A==?=t typed:

 >>Hi to all,
 >>
 >>while working on my thesis (subject : Livemusic between numerous peers us=
 >>ing
 >>high speed networks) I=B4d like to know more about the whole internet
 >>architecture in Europe.
 >>
 >>Actually I=B4m able to play live music if the ping time to the destinatio=
 >>host is < 60ms which is the case between f.e. MTG Barcelona (Music and
 >>technology group - Spain) and TU Darmstadt (Germany).
 >>At this point I get this performance using University networks only - DSL=
 >> in
 >>general > 100 ms.=20
 >>
 >>Now I want to find out more about networks like f.e. GEANT, DFN and so on
 >>and under which conditions I could use the fastest route.
 >>A manual route selection requires IPv6 anyway ? Does anyone have an idea =
 >>if
 >>DSL in theory could offer these ping times as well - why is it that slow =
 >>?
 >>

 >>BTW : Is there any musician in this mailing list who=B4d like to give it =
 >>a try
 >>(I=B4m a bassplayer and prefer Jazz- and Funk songs)
 >>

 >>Any help is appreciated, thanks a lot in advance
 >>
 >>-- A l e x

 cheers

   jon