[e2e] Van Jacobson pbuf's

prizark prizark prizark at rediffmail.com
Thu May 29 12:24:06 PDT 2003

Hey guys

        Recently I was going through a paper by Van Jacboson
"Changes
to 4.4 BSD Kernel Architecutre" and some more searching left me
with
the following results

       Van Jacboson prototyped most of the code in 4.4BSD-Lite but
most
of the code including pbufs implementation are left behind
without
actually integrating them in the netowrk code and they continued
use the old mbufs style memory managemnt.So did Van released any
of
his prototype code under the public domain.What changes are
integrated
into the 4.4BSD Lite release, that are devised by Van Jacobson and
his
team.Although his paper is very good I didn't get clear with some
of
the concepts like are pbufs fixed size where the size is decided
by
the interface that the packet spents it's life and how can the
upper
layers call the interface driver for a pbuf to stuff data into
that
must be transmitted and such.I can take any info, URL,s personal
emails whatever regarding what actually happened to the prototype
code
and also about the various implementation details.

Thanx
prizark