[e2e] latest spate of cruft postings to e2e

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Thu Nov 6 13:42:23 PST 2003

> From end2end-interest-admin at postel.org  Thu Nov  6 13:31:59 2003
> To: Joe Touch <touch at ISI.EDU>
> Cc: end2end-interest at postel.org
> Subject: Re: [e2e] latest spate of cruft postings to e2e
> From: "Perry E.Metzger" <perry at piermont.com>
> Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 16:27:14 -0500
>

> Joe Touch <touch at ISI.EDU> writes:
> > The list is open posting for a reason; this has been addressed on this
> > list before. Please see the list archives for further information.
> >
> > The spam filtering on the list is intended to reduce substantial
> > bandwidth abuse to subscribers, but is not intended as a substitute
> > for local, receiver-side spam filters.
>
> My local, receiver-side spam filters work with whitelists, as do many
> people's. That means that, to avoid false positives, we end up getting
> all the spam going to things like end2end. Your idea of how things
> should work doesn't play well with the way many of us run our
> anti-spam technology.
>
> I can respect (but not understand in the least) your opposition to
> closing the list to non-subscribers, but please respect that other
> people don't run their systems the way you think they should either.
>
> Perry

We've discussed this at length before, excepting the issue of
whitelists, so let's focus on that issue.

White lists assume that all white-listed senders make the same
decision on what is spam that you do. This is a known failure of that
assumption.

Users are free to use whatever filters they prefer, however the
configuration of this list is not (and cannot be) optimized for all
receiver's configurations.

Joe