[e2e] latest spate of cruft postings to e2e

Lynne Jolitz lynne at telemuse.net
Thu Nov 6 16:03:38 PST 2003

I just want to thank Joe for doing a really thankless job. It is so hard these days to run an open posting list and not have spam creep in occasionally. No one ever thanks the list moderator for all the spams s/he actually keeps out, because they are never seen. But I've noticed a reduction in spam on this list over the last few years. It's not perfect, but given the increase in spam in the same time period, I think Joe's been doing a pretty good job.

A few observations:
- Whenever the quals on posting tighten up, I immediately see missives posted by very annoyed subscribers about how upset they were at having to wait for moderator approval or getting a bounceback for an obviously pertinent message. Usually there's some keyword that is checked as also being common in ads. So there's a bit of an art to balancing this. Lately I haven't seen a lot of these complaints, so maybe a balance has been achieved?
- If you look at the HTML email the clever spam people avoid cleartext or break up the words into innocuous ones. One could translate any HTML file into text files first and then examine them, but that would incur an additional cost in overhead. Is this worthwhile?
- Finally, I've noticed that certain kinds of ads (related to male prowess and hair rejuvination, for example) are prevalent on this list after some hot online debates. Perhaps someone is a jolly joker?

Thank you Joe for doing your best. I've seen this list get better, and though I know one can always improve, I think you're doing a good job.

Regards,
Lynne Jolitz.