[e2e] latest spate of cruft postings to e2e

Zartash Afzal Uzmi zartash at lums.edu.pk
Thu Nov 6 17:39:03 PST 2003

It has happened a number of times that I needed a really quick answer to my
query. It is never possible for me to subscribe to each and every list which
is appropriate for my queries as they come. Everytime, I was able to post to
a list (e2e included) without subscription, the query got responded within
hours at most, almost invariably. In other cases, when I had to subscribe to
make a post, I either refrained from posting or looked for another similar
list or got approved by the moderator in a day or two or even more.

Statistically, it will always take much longer to get a query answered on a
subscriber-posting-only list compared to an open list. It is understandable
that people who only post to a few lists regularly would want the lists to
be subscriber-post-only. On the other hand, people who look for a list on
the fly to have their queries resolved would prefer open lists. In my
personal opinion, if there is a significant number of people who fall in the
latter category, it makes sense to make the lists open. This alos conforms
to the spirit that knowledge should spread without any delay.

Zartash