[e2e] latest spate of cruft postings to e2e

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Thu Nov 6 20:39:55 PST 2003

I find it truly interesting that I never see the "spam" that gets sent to
e2e, because it is effectively filtered by my POPFile filters, and also
that in the scheme of things, e2e spam is a miniscule fraction of the total
spam I must deal with each day (the past 7 days I have had over 1,000
emails PER DAY, almost 85% of which were emails that I found objectionable
as spam).

Perhaps we are seeing a few people angry that the general level and
aggressiveness of spammers is rising, but it seems to me that blaming e2e's
maintainer is a case of looking for your keys under the lamppost.   The
"spam" problem is quite independent of e2e, and those of us who choose to
be open to contact from people we do not vet in advance are going to have
to deal with it.   Blaming e2e may make a good lightning rod for your
general powerlessness, but I'd suggest thinking more clearly about the cause.

I don't want the police in my town to put up gates at the entrance to the
town and stop all strangers.   That puts the burden on me to deal with the
occasional 7th day adventist, etc.