[e2e] latest spate of cruft postings to e2e

Wu-chang Feng wuchang at cse.ogi.edu
Wed Nov 12 13:54:46 PST 2003

>why don't we _implement_ the TCP puzzles[1] scheme?

IMO, TCP is the wrong layer to put it at.  It makes sense to have the
puzzle mechanism placed in a single, common layer (i.e. IP) rather than
in every individual transport and application protocol.

>once upon a time, this list was full of people that
>coded stuff - we ought to be able to hack up some
>code to do the crypto stuff in any of the mail user

The code does exist.  :)  We're finishing up an IP/ICMP implementation
in netfilter/iptables that we hope to release soon.  It can issue/verify
about 100,000 puzzles/sec.  There is more performance info in the second
to last slide of the FDNA talk...
  http://www.cse.ogi.edu/sysl/projects/puzzles/fdna03_puzzles.pdf

Cheers,
Wu