[e2e] latest spate of cruft postings to e2e

simon at limmat.switch.ch simon at limmat.switch.ch
Fri Nov 14 00:09:49 PST 2003

Spencer Dawkins writes:
> Now, could we talk about something on-charter? (ASRG is the next
> list over!)

Well, this is certainly a problem to which an end-to-end argument can
be applied.  The function of deciding what is unwanted
end2end-interest mail can really only be completely and correctly
performed at the receiving end.  (Personally I mostly delegate this
decision to SpamAssassin 2.60 these days, and this reliably catches
all the recent spam on the list, for my personal definition of spam.)

"Low level mechanisms to support these functions are justified only as
performance enhancements."  For example, the mailing list exploder
could mark messages from non-subscriber addresses with a special
header (something like "X-Sender-Address-Is-Subscribed: No"), which
receivers could then use as input to their filtering mechanism.

I would certainly not use such a header myself, but apparently it
could make some others happy.
--
Simon.