E2E spam argument (was Re: [e2e] latest spate of cruft postings to e2e)

Mark J. Baugher mbaugher at rdrop.com
Sun Nov 16 08:19:26 PST 2003

hi,
At 01:03 AM 11/15/2003, Jon Crowcroft wrote:
>right - so the point is that you have to be able to verify source - i.e.
>the reverse lookup must work, and the
>reverse route must work, hop by hop (if ip, each router must look at the
>source address and verify the inport is
>the one towards source - at SMTP, each relay must verify the previous
>relay as being the from for the email soruce,
>and so long as this can be done back to the first hop, for ip, source host
>to first hop router, for email, email
>client to first outbound SMTP relay, THEN and only THEN can you apply
>other spam measures...

Ok.  There are some questions about what "email client to first hop SMTP
relay" is, for example, in this message that I'm sending to you:
mbaugher at rdrop.com via Cisco's (outbound) MTA/MSA/relay.  For many users,
it's more important when getting mail from a strange address to know that
it came from a reputable mail operator, cisco in this case.  I guess it's
okay to think of mira-sjc5-e.cisco.com as an extension of my email
endpoint.  It's more than a performance enhancement, however, if
mira-sjc5-e.cisco.com rewrites my mail headers, and/or performs SMTP auth,
and/or vouches for the mail, etc.  If the ASRG consent framework turns out
to be widely useful, then a receiver may feel comfortable "opting out" of
an email sender's list that came via a reputable mail operator even if the
sender is a stranger.  This is not exactly end-to-end.  This has some
peer-to-peer services that complement end-to-end.  Am I all wet on this point?

>if you make sure reverse paths are verifiable (traceback for ip etc), then
>you can impose end2end measures
>
>if you don't do the first step, then the second is open to masquerades,
>sybil attacks, spoof sources

One of the ASRG documents I read recently speculated that new mail
protocols might do any number of things differently from RFC 2821/2822 such
as make it so a receiver never exchanges mail with strangers.  I'd like
that for my child.  This idea was not developed in the document, but it can
in principle be done today with PGP mail (maybe complemented with receiver
filtering).  I don't think that end-to-end secure email scales, however, to
most present and future users of electronic mail.  PGP mail can make
identity-theft a far more serious problem if the user's end systems is
own3d by malicious code, possibly under control by one or more
attackers.  In this case, some private keys will likely become own3d as well.

>this is not to say that you have to bind a route to the end2end session
>,or that the route must necessarily be symmetric
>or that you have to have a long term association between source and
>destination and route (viz virtual circuits
>etc)  - just that some checking can be done
>
>the point here is that (i think)  we all like the IP/internet idea of
>unsolicited transmission, but we want to
>control the amount of it - this means that pseudo-economic means like
>puzzles and hashcash (or real ones like
>payment or legal controls) are not necessary for EVERY thing - if you keep
>these schemes for unsolicited (martini
>advert music) any time anywhere communication, you have to have
>traceback-  but you need traceback anyhow even for
>"solicited" communication (by this i mean that whitelisting is a form of
>solicitation, but depends on unforegeable
>sources, and for network wide control (viz prevention of ddos on a link or
>router, the unforgeable source has to be
>recursive to apply to the previous hop at each link...)
>
>this creates problems for anonimity (or even pseudanonimity) in p2p
>routing systems.....but then if youi want that,
>you have to buy into unsolicited unverifiable source (that donesnt mean yo
>ucan't verify content seperately through
>usual digest signature stuff)

By "usual digest stuff" do you mean something like end-system PGP mail, or
something like MD5 hashes on messages received from a peer, such as a peer
router, or an SSL connection between mail relays that uses symmetric
message authentication?

Would you agree that mail transfer is a p2p routing system?  I do.  I think
that a p2p routing system, moreover, can use p2p security that is
independent of or that complements end-to-end measures.

Mark