[e2e] Bandwidth Estimation workshop

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Thu Oct 2 05:41:09 PDT 2003

Look, guys.  I'm a pragmatic fellow, not a pedant.   However, my pragmatism
is focused these days on helping the public understand how to make policies
related to communications networks.

The confusion between bandwidth and bandwidth adds a HUGE problem to this
space, not to mention the confusion between broadband and broadband,
narrowband and narrowband that result.

The number of lawyers and economists at the FCC who understand this
distinction is tiny.   Congressional staff do not either.   Which leads to
a situation in which lobbyists for incumbents are makiing up "technical
facts" which have no bearing on reality.

It may be impossible to stop the misuse of bandwidth as a term by the
jargonic digerati - I agree.  But context is not sufficient when you are
talking about systems-in-the-large.  Context is only sufficient for
disambiguation when focusing on microworlds where one deals with narrowly
abstracted problem spaces.