[e2e] evolution of bandwidth as a term

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Thu Oct 2 20:02:56 PDT 2003

Ted Faber wrote:

> To restate, I think people should strive for clairity in their
> expression, but it's also important to recognize that language is
> inherently ambiguous, especially when ideas are in flux.

I second Ted, though (to compound the confusion of multiple
definitions), a second Ted would be redundant ;-)

Just in case the notion of context is lost, this is the end2end-interest
list, where bandwidth isn't liable to be interpreted as frequency
deltas. Here are a few other terms with similar levels of confusion
elsewhere, but which appear to have commonly-accepted definitions on
this list:

	Pascal		on this list usually means a language,
			rather than a unit of pressure

	transport	on this list means an end-to-end
			protocol adding value beyond endpoint
			delivery,
			rather than what ATP helps electrons do,
			or what glass does with photons

	link		on this list means a physical connection
			between one or more hosts or routers,
			rather than a golf course, a component of
			a chain, or a unit of length in surveying

This is why the dictionary has multiple definitions for many words,
whether some are loosely related or not related at all.

Joe