[e2e] Question about FAST TCP

Steven Low slow at caltech.edu
Fri Oct 10 23:58:03 PDT 2003

Hi Saverio

In principle, FAST TCP will indeed react to congestion in
the reverse path as well, by reducing its window.   Whether
one should react to congestion only in the forward path or
in both the forward and reverse paths may be debatable.
Without the help of the receiver and/or network, it seems
that delay-based algorithms will always react to both.
If receiver can help, then, indeed, one can implement
schemes such as TCP Santa Cruz; if both receiver
and network can help, one can implement Shiv's
Monoco.

Whether reverse path congestion is a serious issue
in practice remains to be seen.

Steven