[e2e] method to detect liveness of remote other than ping

=?gb2312?q?Jing=20Shen?= jshen_cad at yahoo.com.cn
Mon Oct 13 03:21:22 PDT 2003

Hi,

thanks a lot.

 Our situation is that: we need to set up network
availablity montoring across the backbone network. But
some sites filtered out both traceroute and ping at
their edge router. We could see in/out traffic in
access switch, but sampling by SNMP every 5min is too
long to realize a real-time monitoring.

regards

jing shen

 --- "Anilkumar Vengalil (MOBIS/dor)"
<vengalil at fokus.fraunhofer.de> µÄÕýÎÄ£º>
> Hi,
>
> In addition to ping, one can also use the ICMP based
> "traceroute" to
> detect the liveness of remote machine. Traceroute
> will report the complete
> route ( the routers through which the traceroute
> packets flow from your
> machine to the remote machine )
>
> There are other ways like sending a TCP segment and
> look for the reply
> (like RST or SYN/ACK) from the remote machine. But I
> am not aware of any
> tools which do so. Further, such  attempts could be
> observed as attacks.
>
> -Regards,
>
> Anil
>
>  On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, [gb2312] Jing Shen wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Usually, we detect remote end liveness by 'ping'
> > remote end IP address. I want to know, if ping
> packet
> > is filtered out by firewall which tools could be
> used
> > to detect remote end liveness?
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > jing shen