[e2e] method to detect liveness of remote other than ping

Cottrell, Les cottrell at SLAC.Stanford.EDU
Mon Oct 13 07:17:31 PDT 2003

The following was blocked by a spam filter complaining of non-English traffic.  So I am resending it to get around the spamcontrol

-----Original Message-----
From: Cottrell, Les
Sent: Monday, October 13, 2003 7:07 AM
To: 'Jing Shen'; ippm at ietf.org
Cc: end-to-end list
Subject: RE: [e2e] method to detect liveness of remote other than ping

If you know a port that is open (e.g. ssh, web (80), telnet, FTP, DNS) you can try probing one of those ports. However, this may appear to the remote host admin as unfriendly and blocks may then be added for your host.

We did some study on this a couple of years back (see http://www-iepm.slac.stanford.edu/monitoring/limit/limiting.html) mainly for the purpose of detecting ping rate limiting rather than outright blocking.  We used a tool called synack (see http://www-iepm.slac.stanford.edu/tools/synack/, but note it only runs on Solaris) to probe different TCP ports and looked for the difference with ICMP pings.