[e2e] a simplification of TCP equation

Atsuo J. atsuo_j at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 11 14:32:29 PDT 2003

I have seen a few papers (such as TFRMCC draft) used a simplified TCP throughput equation of Padye where
   (1) estimate RTO = 4 * RTT
   (2) the number of packes acknowledged by each ACK is estimated to 1.
   (3) Min(1, 3*sqrt(3*L/8)) = 1 ; when L = packet loss rate

Then, we can estimateTCP Rate from packet size, RTT and loss rate.

However, I have never seen any papers justifying this simplification.

Why these three simplification making sense?
Would it be any cases that these simplifications are not good?

thank you,
Atsuo