[e2e] Open the floodgate

Jon Crowcroft Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Apr 20 14:46:15 PDT 2004

I'm not sure what your point is

XTP had a LOT of good ideas but was a kitchen sink protocol
by the time everyone climbedon the bandwagon

TCP has a few good ideas - most of which were NOT n the original design - for exasmple despite Postel's wortk on
correctlness using petri nets, t here were several bugs in the state machine (see ian heavens (RIP) discovery
relatively late) plus the byte stream nature and lack of optimal packet exchange or nonce/syn cookie meant that
there were loadds of KNOWN attacks (with known solutons)

all the stuff vj did on header prediction/40 instricton per packet, and criag and others on rtt estimation, and
the berkeley/kk ramakrishanna/raj jain/vh congestion control was dne welll after the oritinal work and coudl (and
WAS ) donr to other protocols too (decnet transport)

the actual work on BIC (as opposed to the crap written by the reporter) is a delta to TCP much like FAST,
scaleable, highspeed, all of which the real work cites...

i wonder if you have ever read vinnecombe's control theoretic work on TCP, or the dccp and sctp work on secure cx
setup, or the stuff people have actually invented since the boring old farts like thee and me actually had a new
idea...there are people trying to move right along, despute carping or journalism, and it ill behoves us to diss
them without reading more.
stet

In missive <20040420191256.EBAFE86B00 at mercury.lcs.mit.edu>, Noel Chiappa typed:

 >>    > From: Kostas Pentikousis <kostas at cs.sunysb.edu>
 >>
 >>    > FYI, "TCP is so 80s it may be obsolete today."
 >>    > ..
 >>    > Speechless,
 >>
 >>Ah, Barnum's Law ("there's one born every minute") at work again, I see!
 >>
 >>I wonder if Injong Rhee has ever heard of XTP? :-)
 >>
 >>        Noel

 cheers

   jon