[e2e] Open the floodgate

Jon Crowcroft Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Apr 21 14:49:50 PDT 2004

In missive <200404211645.JAA06516 at gra.isi.edu>, Bob Braden typed:

 >>  *> new techniques (control theory for rate and window management,
 >>  *> information theory for transmssion on wireless) that mean we can do
 >>  *> things that were NOT done in the past, or if done, only understood
 >>  *> through a glass, darkly

 >>VJ's work was based on control theory. In fact, Van came to the Internet
 >>community (and the E2E TF) from designing control systems for particle
 >>accelerators.  So control theory is not a new idea.

yep....i too have conspired with persons unknown...

vjcc mentions and mildly uses control theory - but control theorey that vinnicombe uses
that FAST , scalable and BIC and other TCP variants are based on is NEW control theory (e.g. new limits for
stability in delayed lossy feedback systems) which were not available in 98, 88, 78, etc.
(involve being nearer limits on unit circle in complex plane as far as i recall..but..

nor did physics degees (at least not in b=grade physics departments like the cavendish in cambridege) include much
control theory in 77 to my recollection (although z-tranforms were  fairly easy to acquire)

moving right along then, the case in point was a bad piece of journalism - the second in 12 months about  go faster
stripes on TCP - is this a hint that .com**2 is about to occurr again...

 cheers

   jon