[e2e] Open the floodgate

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Thu Apr 22 05:54:57 PDT 2004

At 03:06 AM 4/22/2004, Cannara wrote:
>What control theory does satisfaction with this
>state derive from?

It's odd that "control theory" might be implied to provide satisfaction
with the state of network control.

Traditional control theory applied to networks requires that they have
perfect communications reliability - that is, bits get through reliably and
with bounded latency.

I don't know of any physical situation where that assumption can be made
true, anymore than that other assumption of communications theory in the
1970's refereed network theory papers: that network traffic was a random
process, usually Poisson sometimes synchronous, that *did not respond* to
network behavior (not "could not respond" but "did not respond").

Your precious theory is helpful, but what your language tells me is that
you believe that the network design process should be one of developing
analytic theories, and then *forcing the usage to match the assumptions
which lead to a tractable theory*.

That's not engineering, even though it pretends to be.    It may give you
satisfaction, because it lets you "prove systems correct".

A recent set of experiments on automobile control for intelligent
transportation systems demonstrated that an architecture that delivered
perfect information to the control loops holding cars in line, by using the
best known reliable stream protocols, performed far worse on a reliability
scale than a network that delivered corrupted measurements (random bit
errors in position measurements) without correcting them.

This was done with the best possible "control theory" at the control level.

I don't mean to disparage theory - theory is enormously helpful in reaching
an understanding, but it is far from a silver bullet.

In the case of the Internet's control problem, the actual problem - how to
control a system that is not driven by random packet arrivals and random
errors - is intractable, and the traditional control theory approach of
forcing the system to obey simplified assumptions, is practically impossible.