[e2e] Open the floodgate

Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Thu Apr 22 13:03:03 PDT 2004

Mark, sorry, but the point I was trying to make was not that TCP should tell
us that physical errors are occurring, but that if TCP is to be given
congestion-management responsibility (as it was in the '80s), then it must
also be given information to allow it to distinguish non-congestive loss.  In
other words TCP lacks input that prevents false positives that lead to
backoff.

Now, to implement that, say ECN-like, the network layer needs to provide info
to the ends, thus allowing end-end transfers to remain reliable and fast under
this kind of failing.  Then too, the info to the user could, in fact pop out
on screen, but from the network layer at his/her station (as well as to its
TCP).  That's an extension additional to helping TCP, but I was not even
broaching that at this point.

Alex