[e2e] Open the floodgate

Fu Cheng Peng, Franklin ASCPFu at ntu.edu.sg
Fri Apr 23 06:41:18 PDT 2004

> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Michael Welzl wrote:
>
> > Still, my question remains: why don't we have these
> separate checksums
> > as a TCP option? It strikes me as a rather simple method for links
> > where erroneous data are actually handed over, and I
> believe that it's
> > about time we transferred these things from the world of
> research into
> > the IETF.
>
> When you have erroneous packets (for whatever reaso other
> than congestion), who will inform about that? Maybe the
> addresses themselves are erroneous. Besides, some packets
> just get completely junked ... Special headers will not solve
> the problem.

Another reason may be due to deployability issue, if you add checksum in
TCP options, you have to modify both sending and receiving TCP stack. Is
it? That is not easy to deploy in real network.

-Franlkin

Dr. Fu Cheng Peng, Franklin
Asst Professor
School of Computer Engineering
Nanyang Technological University, Singapore 639798
Tel: (65) 6790-4287 Fax: (65) 6792-6559